We Are Here To Help

Legal Help With K-1 Fiancé Visas

If you are a U.S. citizen who is engaged to a citizen of a foreign country, the Wisconsin-based attorneys at Pittman & Pittman Law Offices, LLC, can help guide you through the necessary steps to secure a K-1 fiancé visa. This process can be complicated and the smallest error can result in a lengthy delay. We are here to walk you through this process every step of the way.

What Does A K-1 Visa Do?

A K-1 visa is issued to an eligible person, which allows them to legally enter the United States for the purpose of entering into a marriage. The marriage must take place within 90 days after a person has arrived. Marriage alone is not enough to make a person a legal citizen of the U.S. After the marriage has taken place, the foreign spouse may apply for an adjustment of status to a legal permanent resident.

The Application Process

The U.S. citizen will act as a sponsor to their foreign-born fiancé. The sponsor must first fill out the necessary forms and file them with the local U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office. Upon approval from a USCIS officer, the application will be processed by the National Visa Center, who will then send a notification to the U.S. Embassy or consulate of the fiancé’s home country. Once the National Visa Center has sent a notification, the fiancé should collect all the required documents and begin preparing for an interview. Documents that must be presented in the visa interview include:

  • A nonimmigrant visa application
  • A valid passport that does not expire for at least six months
  • Proof of financial support
  • Two 2 X 2 photographs
  • Proof of relationship with the U.S. sponsor

Additional documents may be necessary depending on the circumstances of your situation. The amount of time it takes to secure a K-1 visa varies from case to case. The biggest factor in ensuring timely processing of your request is ensuring that all steps are carried out precisely. That is why having skilled legal counsel in your corner is so important.

Contact Us For Help With Your Family-Based Immigration Needs

To learn more about sponsoring your foreign-born fiancé, schedule a consultation with our lawyers. Call our at 608-620-7774. You may also complete our online contact form.